2.24.2018

Turning Over A New Leaf

All my life, I have lived with an extended family. Well, almost. My parents were given their own apartment unit when they were starting their married life until I was in my primary school. Then my grandmother invited us to live with her when I was in secondary school until last year. Similarly, my uncle together with his kids lived there too. There were nine of us in total in a house with five bedrooms.


When a consensus to sell my grandmother's property happened, I had second thoughts and a fair bit of anxiety. The location was very ideal - it was situated in a central business district. We lived very close to banks, wet markets, groceries, offices, malls, schools, churches. I've seen the development in this area, know the people very well in our neighborhood and transportation is excellent.


Having lived in an extended family was not always a bed of roses. But the relationships are better these days. I just miss the laughter between shared meals and the fun conversations. But from time to time, we meet up and enjoy these things again.




We have settled in our new home, my haven which is definitely far better than the older house though smaller (because it is ours now and we have the liberty to do everything). My mom and I have personally chosen every furniture and detail, exemplifying a no-clutter home so I can freely maneuver my wheelchair.




The lanai is one of my favorite places at home where we hang out and chat while sipping a cup of coffee. The breeze in this place is always good. I can doze off at an instant as I hear the birds chirping and the gentle swaying of leaves in my environment.


Our house is modern and minimalist. We opted to go for all white to give the illusion of a bigger space. The colors of the furniture for the living and dining room were starkly the same. It gives a unified look and harmony. The house was old when we first saw it. More so, the kitchen was almost dilapidated; the reason why we replaced it with modular. Over all, we loved the bungalow house. The bathroom was perfect for me though we needed to make ramps for better accessibility. The materials are sturdy and of stellar quality. A fresh coat of paint was all it needed to make it look brand new. The theme in our lanai is traditional. Furniture items like the antique console table, the batibot table and chairs, an atiquated grandfather clock and a narrow drawer (both not shown in this photo) make up this space.




We love how the house has transformed. My parents muse that they prefer just staying indoors, enjoying the peace and quiet of the surroundings as we start to create wonderful and lasting  memories. I intend to have an organic garden soon by planting tomatoes and bitter melon.


How about you, what is your favorite place in your house?


Are you planning to update your furniture soon? Check this link for helpful tips.


18 comments :

  1. Your new house looks charming - I especially love the Lanai... such a relaxing spot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my living room and not because of the way it's decorated, but because it's the gathering place for my family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up in a large family so I know exactly what you are talking about. Wonderful you were able to get your own place but sometimes the quiet is too much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely home! My favorite place is my great room. It's open to the kitchen and dining room and I also work in the space. Plus, it has lots of windows and I love the outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the red coca-cola chairs! I have those same chairs around my dining room table, only mine are black. your outdoor space is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Years ago, after we were married, we lived at my mom's in an extended family living situation. There were three generations (me and my husband, my parents and my younger brothers, and my Grandma. It can be trying and doesn't work for some but I loved it at that time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a wonderful job decorating the house. I wish we had a lanai. It would be relaxing to sit in. My favorite place would probably be the living room, since it has the comfy couch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite place is my office. Mainly because it has a door, and a comfy chair so I can get some peace and read my book! I do love minimalism - and love the colors you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how your home looks, you have truly made it your own. It's nice that you're also planning to have a garden! That is so exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like a beautiful home! I love the Lanai and that red wall is gorgeous too! I lived with extended family growing up and it was an adjustment for me living with just my husband and Kids now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My kitchen is my favorite room in our home. It's where the family tends to gather most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We live with extended family. It can be really hard but my kids love seeing their grandparents each day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really love your lanai too. I could easily see why it is your favorite place.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh, I just love your lanai. What a wonderful place to have friends, family or just sit and enjoy! Your home is your sanctuary I believe and yours is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful space to call home. I am all about having a simple set of surroundings so that I can truly decompress from the day and have a safe haven from the chaotic world.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That white accent chair looks really comfortable. I love the big mirror over it. I think it would add to the decor in my room and give me a new place to relax and read.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats on the new place! Looks like you chose a nice clean design and that outdoor space is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Reading your post makes me imagine how it feels like. So glad how it turned out and I used to stay with my grandparents during vacations when I am young and I missed bonding moments too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...